Sunday 7 August 2016

Call to Arms 2016 - First 40k Tournament

So I decided to take my 40k experience beyond painting models and sporadically playing casual games by taking my Dark Angels to Call to Arms 2016. 
As a dedicated painter and inexperienced player, I went into the event with two goals; do well in the army presentation voting and get a win at some point over the weekend.

In the army presentation, I came second to Glen's Eldar (see wrythsprimarchs.blogspot.co.nz) which, given his level of painting, is a really good result. Looking back through various photos of the event I'm actually quite proud of how good my force looked on both their presentation board and on the tabletop.

(Photo sourced from stumpyheaven.blogspot.co.nz. Thanks John!)

For the actual 40k matches, I was running a Dark Angels "all-comers" list that could do a little bit of everything, with the idea that it would perform admirably against any opponent. Taking this approach meant that I was never going to wipe my opponents off the table and would have to keep myself focussed on the mission objectives in each match if I was going to have a chance.

Across the weekend I ended up with three Turn 5 points victories (over John's Khorne Daemonkin, Matt's Necrons and Ryan's Eldar), a crushing defeat by Greg's hungry, hungry Tyranids and a hard fought loss to Glen's Eldar.  The game against Glen was lost on primary mission points by the end of turn two and from that point descended into an absolute bloodbath, with a total of 5 models left in play by the end of the game. 

So, all things told, I had an amazing weekend. I met both of my goals, placed 9th out of 25 entrants, played all 5 games against really decent people and, thanks to the voting of my opponents, I even won the "best sport" medal (I have a sneaky suspicion there is a tradition of giving the new guy this award).

No comments:

Post a Comment